Kettles are an essential part of any kitchen, especially for us guys in the UK where a good old cup of tea is our staple drink of choice. However, with so many options out there, it can be hard to know which one to choose!
I know when I was shopping for my kitchen appliances (in black, of course!) I spent a fair bit of time clicking around different websites trying to find the look I wanted along with great functionality, so, having a shopping guide like this one I would have found super helpful, so I hope it helps you guys – let’s take a look…
My Top Picks
Here are the best black kettles in the UK...
I’ve broken down each option giving you the key features and benefits of each – and also highlighted the one I personally have in my kitchen…
- Quick Boil: A 3KW element ensures fast water boiling, ideal for busy households or serving guests.
- User-Friendly Design: The integrated spout allows for easy, mess-free pouring, complemented by a sleek, black matte finish.
- Large Capacity: The 1.7-litre size can make up to 8 cups, great for families or cooking needs.
- Size Issue: The 1.7-litre capacity may be excessive for small households, taking up space and wasting energy.
- Mark Visibility: The all-black finish can show water marks and fingerprints.
- Extra Features: Some might find the rubberised handle and LED indicator unnecessary and prefer a simpler kettle.
The Swan 1.7 litre Stealth kettle is the one I personally have in my home as I was sold on the overall style and after owning this product after 2 years (as of writing this), I can say I am more than happy with it and have received plenty of compliments from friends and family. It also looks so good next to my matching microwave and toaster too!
It features a powerful 3KW concealed heating element, it offers rapid boiling capabilities. Its generous 1.7-litre capacity can serve up to 8 cups, making it ideal for large families or entertaining.
For added user-friendliness, the matt black kettle comes with a specially designed integrated spout for drip-free pouring. Its sleek, all-black design with a matt finish adds a touch of modern elegance to any kitchen. Additional features like a rubberised cool-touch handle (which is very comfortable by the way!), LED indicator, and cord storage make it both functional and visually appealing. I highly recommend this one!
For my in depth review, click here.
- Fast Boil: 3000W ensures quick heating.
- Easy Clean: Concealed element and removable filter simplify maintenance.
- Auto Shut-Off: Adds a safety layer by turning it off if empty.
- Price: Higher than average price tag.
- Extra Features: Soft-opening lid may be unnecessary for some.
- Large Size: 1.7L may be too much for small households.
This Smeg kettle offers a blend of speed, safety, and ease of use. With a 3000W output, it ensures fast boiling which is great. I like the fact it features a concealed element with a removable limescale filter, making cleaning much easier. Safety is enhanced with an automatic shut-off feature when empty, however, its high power could lead to more energy consumption, and its 1.7L capacity may be excessive for smaller households.
Additionally, some might find features like the soft-opening lid unnecessary, and the removable filter could require frequent cleaning to prevent limescale buildup.
- Precision Control: PID and variable temp for fine-tuned brewing.
- Advanced Features: LCD, 60-min hold, and brew stopwatch add functionality.
- Compact Design: Minimalist base saves counter space.
- Learning Curve: Advanced features may be complex for beginners.
- Cost: Higher price than basic kettles due to extra features.
- Niche Use: Mainly tailored for coffee aficionados, less versatile for basic boiling tasks.
The Stagg EKG kettle is designed for coffee enthusiasts, offering precision control through PID temperature settings and a variable temperature dial. It comes with advanced features like an LCD screen, 60-minute hold mode, and a brew stopwatch.
While its compact and stylish design is a countertop plus, the kettle may be more complex and expensive than basic models and is best suited for specialised brewing rather than simple boiling tasks, but let’s face it – it looks great!
- Stylish: Unique glass and blue illumination add aesthetic appeal.
- Fast Boil: 3kW power heats one cup in 45 seconds, with energy savings.
- Less Intrusive: Due to the glass design, it gives a minimalist feel.
- Shows Limescale: Easily shows limescale on the glass.
- Fragile: Glass design may be prone to breakage.
- Extra Features: Blue light and glass spout might be unnecessary for some.
This Classic Glass Kettle by Russell Hobbs combines style and efficiency with its unique glass design and blue internal illumination. A powerful 3kW element allows for quick boiling, heating one cup in just 45 seconds. The glass designs offers a feeling of more space and minimalist vibe however it can easily show the limescale from within.
I personally find it very satisfying watching the water boil whilst being illuminated by the electric blue lighting.
- Quick Boil: 3000W enables fast boiling, even one cup in 45 seconds.
- Indicators: Clearly shows you how much to fill for 1, 2 & 3 cups .
- Clean Pour: Perfect pour spout eliminates splashes and spills.
- Extra Features: Illuminated indicator and design might be unnecessary for some.
- Style: Looks a bit ‘plasticky’.
This Inspire kettle is a high-powered, stylish kettle with a 3000W output for quick boiling. It features a premium high-gloss finish with chrome accents and an illuminated power indicator however it does look a bit too ‘plasticky’ for my liking…
It’s been designed for efficiency, so it can boil one cup in just 45 seconds based on a specific 235ml cup size however, it may not be as efficient for larger quantities.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the advantage of a black kettle over other colours?
Black kettles not only offer a sleek and modern aesthetic but also tend to show fewer stains and mineral deposits compared to lighter-coloured kettles (especially when you use filtered water – this has helped me so much with limescale!). Be aware though if you live in a hard water area, more regular cleaning would be required.
How do I choose the right black kettle for my kitchen?
To find the best black kettle for your needs, consider factors like capacity (how much water it can hold), material (stainless steel, glass, etc.), and features such as temperature control, automatic shutoff, and boil-dry protection. Hopefully, everything I’ve covered for you in the above.
How to clean a black kettle?
I’ve provided a step by step guide on how to effectively clean a black kettle but as a quick overview, simply get some white vinegar or lemon juice, boil it in the kettle, allowing it to sit to break down stains and mineral deposits, and then gently scrubbing if necessary. Thorough rinsing and complete drying are crucial, along with a gentle wipe-down of the exterior. Regular maintenance, such as descaling, is also recommended to prevent future buildup.
Your Future Brews Will Arrive in Style with Your New Black Kettle!
I hope this has helped you find a new black kettle you like – I know I could have made use of this a few years ago. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below, if you know of any other kettles to feature here or have had experience with these products I have rated and reviewed.
Also, if you are like me, a lover of black homewares and fashion take a look around my site as there may be some other useful guides that can help you discover and shop home & fashion.